The Ministry for Environment has recently instituted a new board to carry out the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), that intends to reduce air pollution in the 102 worst impacted cities by 20-30 percent by 2024.
The National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), introduced by the Union Environment Minister in January 2019 is a time-bound nationwide plan of action for pan India execution to take on the intensifying air pollution issue throughout the nation in a detailed way.
The major purpose of the program is thorough air pollution reduction activities for avoidance, control and also reduction of air pollution apart from boosting the air quality observation network throughout the nation and also reinforcing the understanding as well as ability enhancing activities.
Table of Contents
Important Features of the National Clean Air Program
- The National Clean Air Program (NCAP) intends to reduce air pollution in the 102 worst impacted cities by 20-30 percent by the year 2024, looking upon 2017 as the starting year for the comparison of Particulate Matter accumulation.
- The program is going to be a mid-term, five-year activity strategy with 2019 as the starting year.
- The global experiences and also nationwide research studies however show that significant end result in regards to air pollution campaigns show up only in the future and for this reason the program might be even more stretched out to a longer period timeline after a mid-term evaluation of the results.
- The strategy for NCAP consists of collective, multi-scale and also cross-sectoral synchronisation in between the appropriate Union ministries, state governments and also local area groups with emphasis on all causes of air pollution.
- The interdependence of the prevailing plans and also programs consisting of the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) as well as various other campaigns of the Indian Government pertaining to environment change shall be undertaken during the implementation of NCAP.
Key Features of NCAP
- Boosting variety of observation facilities in the nation involving non-urban or rural surveillance facilities.
- Offering modern technology assistance.
- Providing focus on recognition and also capability enhancing efforts.
- Establishing of accreditation companies for keeping an eye on devices, resource apportionment research studies, focus on implementation and also certain sectoral assistances.
Application of the NCAP Program
- The Smart Cities program shall be utilized to commence the NCAP in the 43 smart cities featuring in the directory of the 102 non-attainment cities.
- The NCAP is visualized to be vibrant and shall certainly remain progressive in its outcome based upon the research as well as technological facts as they develop.
- The National Clean Air Program shall associate with multilateral as well as bilateral worldwide agencies and also similar organisations and also leading technological organisations to attain its end results.
- The city-specific activity strategies are being developed for 102 non-attainment cities recognised for carrying out air pollution reduction activities under NCAP.
- The cities have actually currently prepared activity strategies in dialogue with Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). The organisational structure at the Union govt level as well as state govt level consisting of Apex Committee at the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change at the Union level as well as at Chief Secretary Level in the States will be established.
- Furthermore, sectoral functioning teams, nationwide level Project Monitoring Unit, Project Implementation Unit, state level task tracking module, city based testimonial board under the Municipal Commissioner and also District Collector level Committee in the Districts will be formed under the NCAP for reliable application as well as success of the National Clean Air Program.
History of the National Clean Air Program
Air pollution is among the greatest international ecological threats these days. India is native to the globe’s 14 highest polluted cities, as reported by the World Health Organisation. The harmful air resulted in 1.24 million deaths in the country in 2017, based on a research published in the Lancet Planetary Health.
Presently, the cities inhabit simply 3 percent of the land, yet add to 82 percent of GDP and also are accountable for 78 percent of CO2 discharges.
Cities however are powerhouses of development yet they need to be environmentally friendly and also it is in this connection that NCAP being an extremely comprehensive program holds unique significance.
The introduction event saw the attendance of more than 150 attendees representing the Union as well as state governments, businesses, national as well as global agencies, educational institutions and also scientific institutes from throughout the nation.
The program’s launch accompanies the yearly spike of air pollution amounts in north India, involving the capital, New Delhi. Recently air pollution rose to “emergency situation” values in New Delhi, as the Central Pollution Control Board’s air quality index of harmful Pm 2.5 level reached 440, greater than 12 times the advised limitation.
Rising air pollution is a grave threat to the health and well being of Indian citizens as well as the economic development of the country. It is in this context that a comprehensive action plan like NCAP should be seen and implemented effectively to deliver concrete results.