Recent Sporting Achievements in India
2017 has been a momentous year for Indian sports. Indian sports-persons have brought many laurels to the country in this year, particularly, women sports-persons. This post looks into the notable achievements in international sporting events by Indians this year.
Achievements in Badminton
Indian shuttlers have been garnering many medals in top Badminton events in recent times. So we start by listing the achievements in Badminton in this year.
- Srikanth Kidambi won the Indonesian Super Series and the Australian Super Series titles in back-to-back fashion. Ace Indian Shuttler H S Prannoy won the 2017 Yonex US Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament title. It was his third grand prix gold title of badminton. B Sai Praneeth clinched Thailand Grand Prix Gold title by defeating Indonesia’s Jonatan Christie 17-21, 21-18, 21-19 in Bangkok.
- The biggest laurels for the country were brought by PV Sindhu who won the Syed Modi International, India Open and Korea Open badminton tournaments in 2017. But her biggest achievement was winning the Silver medal in the World Badminton Championships where she lost by a whisker to Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara. She has reached all-time high of 2nd ranked women badminton player. She also became the first Indian woman to win a silver medal in the Olympics, at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Saina Nehwal, the former World no. 1 player, also had an eventful year and she won the Malaysia Masters badminton title in 2017
Achievements in Cricket
- Indian women cricket team captained by Mithali Raj reached the final of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup where they lost to England by 9 runs in a thrilling final. This is the second time that the Indian women’s team has reached the finals of the World Cup. The first was in 2005 when they lost in the finals to Australia.
- Indian captain Mithali Raj (34) scripted history by becoming first player in the history of women’s ODI cricket to score more than 6000 career runs. She also became all-time leading run-getter in women’s ODI.
Achievements in Weightlifting
- India’s Ajay Singh won the bronze medal in the 2017 Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships held at Kathmandu, Nepal. He got third place in 77 kgs men’s junior category by lifting 143 kgs in snatch and 172 kgs in clean and jerk.
- His win takes India’s medal tally to three in the championship. Earlier, S. Nirpupama Devi had won bronze in 69 kgs women youth category. Konsam Ormila Devi from Manipur had won gold medal in 44kg weight category.
Achievements in Para Atheletics
- India’s Karamjyoti Dalal won bronze medal at the World Para Athletics Championships 2017 in the discus-throw. In the women’s F55 category of discus-throw, she managed a throw of 19.02 m.Earlier, Sundar Singh Gurjar had opened India’s account at the 2017 World Para Athletics Championships by winning gold medal in the men’s javelin throw event. Later, Amit Saroha won silver medal in the club throw event in the F-51 category.
Achievements in Shooting
- Indian shooters Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu clinched the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup held at Gabala, Azerbaijan.
Achievements in Fencing
- C.A Bhavani Devi became the first Indian to win a Gold Medal in an international fencing tournament. She has won the gold medal in the sabre event of the Turnoi Satellite Fencing Championship held at Reykjavik in Iceland. In the final, she beat Sarah Jane Hampson of Great Britain 15-13 on points.
Achievements in Wrestling
- Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat & Divya Kakran bagged silver medals at the Asian Wrestling Championship held at the KD Jadhav Stadium in New Delhi.
- Harpreet Singh bagged bronze medal in Greco-Roman weight divisions in the Asian Wrestling Championship
Achievements in Field and Track Events
- Shot putter Manpreet Kaur broke her own 2015 national record at the Asian Grand Prix in Jinhua, China. Her performance in the event has helped her to earn a gold medal and qualify for the World Championships to be held in London in August 2017. Her outstanding performance in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix has helped her to reach No 1 spot in the world rankings.
Indian achievements in sports will be updated on regular basis to help IAS exam aspirants as well as aspirants preparing for other competitive exams. You can leave your feedback in the comments below.
Reference Books for IAS
Topic-wise Books for IAS