There’s good news for religious minorities. Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt of India is offering financial aid to candidates from minority communities who clear the civil services Prelims examination (as well as other selected exams) so as to increase representation of minorities in central and state civil services. Read on to know the complete details.
Only candidates belonging to notified Minority Communities who clear the Prelim examinations conducted by UPSC; SPSC or SSC etc. and fulfill all other eligibility criteria and conditions will be considered for financial support under the scheme. Eligibility criteria and conditions of the Scheme will be as follows:
- The candidate should belong to one of the Minority Communities notified under Section 2 (C ) of National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992 and should have passed the Prelims Examination conducted by UPSC; SPSC or SSC etc.
- Total family income of the candidates from all sources should not exceed Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum*.
- The financial support can be availed by a candidate only once. The candidate will not be eligible to benefit from any other similar Scheme of the Central or State Governments /UT Administrations. In case the candidate decides to opt for other Schemes; he/she will have to forgo the claim from this Ministry and refund the amount if already availed with 10% interest. He / she needs to give an affidavit to the effect, that he /she is not availing such benefit from any other source.
Note*: Income from all sources which has been projected as Rs. 4.5 lakh in para 3 (ii) above is subject to change with change in creamy layer exemption/ceiling over the 12th plan period and beyond.
Number of Beneficiaries:
Every year up to a maximum of 800 candidates will be given financial support under the scheme throughout the country on fulfilling the eligibility criteria till the budgetary allocation is exhausted.
The physical distribution of benefits to different notified minority communities will be as follows:
Muslims: 584; Christians: 96 ; Sikhs:80; Buddhists:32 ; and Parsis: 8.
The rate of financial assistance will be maximum Rs. Fifty thousand(Rs. 50,000/- for Gazetted Post; and Rs 25,000/- for Non- Gazetted Post) only as support to the minority candidates who have cleared the Prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commissions; Staff Selection Commissions or State Public Service Commissions etc for Group ‘A’ and ‘B’ Civil Services.
Terms and Conditions:
- The candidate should submit the proof of passing of preliminary examination conducted by Union Public Services Commission, State Public Services Commission, Staff Selection Commission etc. or equal examination for Group ‘A’ and ‘B’( Gazetted and Non Gazetted ) Civil Services. This consists of Roll Number slip, Identity Card and Result.
- The candidate should submit the proof of income of the family from the all sources. The annual Income Certificate should be issued by a Competent Authority as may deem fit by State Government/UT Administration.The candidate should submit Affidavit / Certificate for community proof to be issued by the Competent Authority.
Download the complete instructions here.
As I see, this is a great opportunity for poor candidates belonging to the minority communities especially from rural background who cannot afford expensive coaching from coaching institutes.
Speaking of affordable mentorship, I have compiled a very affordable and targeted program for Prelims that you should take advantage of whether you are just starting out or are an experienced veteran.